I live in New York and have questions regarding my child’s IEP process.  Would you be able to help me?  The laws that surround special education are the same, regardless of what state you live in.  However, there are some specific details for each state.  If you would like some advice or additional help, please contact us. We are happy to help!

My child is performing academically two years behind grade level.  Should her IEP goals reflect where she is academically or the standards for her grade?  According to FAPE (Free Appropriate Public Education) a child’s IEP goals must align with grade level standards.  If there is a large gap, then your child should be receiving specialized instruction to help close that gap.  Due to the specific individual nature of IEPs, further questions are best answered after reviewing your child’s IEP.  Please contact us at confidentsolutions7@gmail.com. 

I would like to read more about the laws governing special education.  Where could I find that information? Please check out the following link on Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy: http://www.wrightslaw.com  Here is a link to their Facebook page as well: https://www.facebook.com/Wrightslaw-258027171722/home?ref=page_internal There are several good books to read such as “From Emotions to Advocacy.” 

How do I know what my rights are as well as my child’s rights? Your child’s school should offer you a copy of the Handbook on Parent’s Rights and Responsibilities.  If you have not yet received a copy, you can request one from your child’s school or find it here: http://ec.ncpublicschools.gov/parent-resources/ecparenthandbook.pdf